Summit Service Station

Summit Service Station

Summit Station, given the name because it sat at the highest point on the Columbia River Highway, was built by Frank Knieriem and Earnest Graff …

In May, 1914 … a small diner that came to be known as ‘The Summit,’ opened as an ice cream parlor. Managed by Laura Ross, it was built by Frank Knieriem and Earnest A. Graff. Miss Ross … served light lunches, coffee and ice cream. … By May, 1915, Jim Ross had added a gasoline filling station, and announced that he would “also carry a few automobile tires and accessories” (Gresham Outlook, May 4,1915). The “Summit” soon became another landmark on the highway. Subsequently, other owners managed the enterprise. Of these, Eva ‘Ma’ Hammer is most remembered. She purchased the business and operated it for many years as the ‘Summit Tavern.’ In the early ’70s the building was demolished by the State Highway Department.

Mershon, Clarence. East of the Sandy, The Columbia River Highway. Portland, Oregon: Guardian Peaks, Inc., 2001, p. 34-35.