Johnson’s Vista Cafe and Service Station
In the late 1920s, George and Nettie Johnson opened an ice cream parlor that soon became Johnson’s Vista Cafe. Situated in an ideal location within an easy stroll of the Vista House, the restaurant profited from the many visitors who stopped there. In the 1930s, the United States Weather Bureau established a weather station in a small back room in the cafe. The station provided hourly reports to the main Portland weather station until it closed on October 21, 1945. When tour busses unloaded passengers at the restaurant, the weather station employees often had to “pitch in” to help with the dishes or other restaurant chores.
Clarence E. Mershon, 2006, The Columbia River Highway, From the Sea to the Wheat Fields of Eastern Oregon, 1913-1928, Guardian Peaks Enterprises.