Chanticleer, aka Chanticleer Inn and Chanticleer Tavern, was located at the site of the lookout at the Portland Women’s Forum State Scenic Viewpoint. The Inn took its name from the rooster in the story, “Reynard the Fox.” Early train travelers took a shuttle up a winding road from the base of the cliff near Rooster rock, to the inn. Portions of that road still exist. The upper end of it can be accessed from the west side of the parking lot. After the Inn burned in 1930 the Portland Women’s Forum purchased the site and donated it to Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.
The Chanticleer Inn, owned by Alba R. Morgan and his wife, Madge Kay, opened in 1912. Initially (or soon after the Inn opened), Margaret E. Henderson managed the restaurant and served as its hostess. … Unfortunately, shortly thereafter Mrs Morgan died. … On August 27, 1913, the Inn served as a meeting place for the Multnomah County Commission under Rufus Holman. At this meeting, Holman met with Sam Hill and the other backers of the highway. The next day, Multnomah County secured the services of Samuel Lancaster as engineer for the construction of the Columbia River Highway.
The Chanticleer became a well-known restaurant, attracting crowds of patrons from Portland as well as tourists after the highway opened. On Sunday, May 17, 1914, the Chanticleer Inn celebrated an “opening day,” after extensive renovation of the facility by Mr. Morgan. Meanwhile, Mrs. Henderson became the manager of the Falls Chalet at Latourell, which opened a few weeks later. In February, 1916, Mr. Morgan brought a new bride, Marie Morgan, to Chanticleer. The Morgans owned and managed Chanticleer until it was destroyed by fire on October 8, 1930.